Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio is an American actor, producer, and environmentalist. He has often played unconventional roles, particularly in biopics and period films. As of 2019, his films have grossed US$7.2 billion worldwide, and he has placed eight times in annual rankings of the highest-paid actors in the world.
Don't you just want to know everything about this Oscar award wining star? We let you in on some interesting stories in the following video!
- The American actor and producer started out as an actor for television commercial in the early 1980s.
- Did you know he speaks fluently in Italian and German? And that he was born in Hollywood, where he managed to succeed after his star role in Titanic?
- DiCaprio finally won an Academy Award for his role in the 2015 film The Revenant.
- He has a net worth of $260 million.
1. Matthew McConaughey was considered for the role of Jack in Titanic but James Cameron wanted Leo. The 1997 epic romance was the most expensive film made at the time. The production budget was $200 million. The film won 11 out of 14 Oscar nominations. In 1998 Titanic became the highest-grossing film worldwide until Avatar which was also written and directed by Cameron, surpassed it in 2010.
2. Leo's first onscreen job was on a TV show, but he was fired for being too disruptive.
3. One of the many models he dated once hit him with a broken bottle in 2005 an injured his face. She went to jail for 2 years in 2010 for the incident.
4. Tarantino wanted Leo to play the role of the Nazi in Inglourious Basterds, but he said no and the role went to Christoph Waltz who won an Oscar for it.
5. When he started his career his agent suggested he change his name to Lenny so it would sound more American. Fortunately Leo said no.
Bonus Fact: Leo is a huge environmentalist. In 2010, he donated $1,000,000 to the Wildlife Conservation Society at Russia’s tiger summit.
Also, the big Hollywood star bought an island in 2009, Blackadore Caye, off mainland Belize. The actor wants to open an environment-friendly resort! We can't wait!